My First Ever JSCC Race Weekend @ Silverstone International Circuit

What a weekend! Ok, so I have raced in karting before and I love it. However, racing a proper car at Silverstone International Circuit for the Junior Saloon Car Championship is a little bit different.

This is probably the longest post I have done (yet), but there is just so much to share. I hope you enjoy it.

You can help my to stay on track at https://www.gofundme.com/f/speedygonzalexjscc

I am racing with the Chandler Motorsport team and they are absolutely brilliant. Thank you to Eddie, Lee, Steven, Katelyn, Rachel and Ray. I couldn't have done this without all your support!



They say you shouldn't start on a negative, but the one complaint I have, is that I was not allowed to do testing on the Friday. Pretty much everyone else did, so I was on the back foot. Well, school and my dad's work got in the way. Actually, for the next round I have leave of absence from school and my dad booked a day off!

The format was a quali on Saturday followed by a race on the same day and another one on Sunday.

While getting ready for the quali, I posted this reel on Insta...

 https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbj7wdrAebh/


Quali

So the quali was the first time I ever drove a car completely on my own. The team filmed me driving off and posted another reel:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbkRLyKALvl/

The actual quali didn't go at all to plan, which is not that surprising, seeing as I had no experience whatsoever.

Either way, here is the footage...


The result was that I qualified last for both races, but that only brought out my fighting spirit.


Race 1

The team really got into these Insta reels, so here is the one for race 1:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbkv0I9Al4F/

While I obviously started 30th out of 30, I made up 5 places finishing 25th.

There was a bit of an issue with the camera, so no footage for this race, but BARC have covered it on their YT channel:

https://youtu.be/KbSgc8-iBWY?t=6460

Obviously there is room for improvement, but making up 5 places is not a bad start:



The Interview

At the end of Saturday and after all the races had finished, we had a chance to do a track walk. Thanks Steven, that really helped.

As a bit of fun Rachel, Katelyn and I had a stroll and a bit of an interview. Loved it. Slightly pretentious? Perhaps, but we had a laugh.


Race 2

I already improved during the first race, but I was determined to improve even more during the second one. But before we get that, another reel. My dad went onto the Wing's terrace to capture the start...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbm9xjCg9UM/

Camera problems resolved, so here is the footage:


Again, BARC covered the race on their YT channel:


In the second race I actually took about 3 and a half seconds off my qualifying time and again, came from 30th to 25th:

Ok, so I can improve, but in my books, this is not the worst start ever...


Some Pictures

Lots of people contributed to the videos and the pictures on this post, but I would like to especially  thank Max English, Colin Jackson and the Chandler Motorsport team for their amazing pictures.

There has been a bit of a discussion if our garage was the 2021 Red Bull F1 one, or not. However, garage 22 got upgraded to Chandler Motorsport, so who cares? I loved it!


Working on the car


They even let me loose on my own


The car is looking race ready


Getting settled in


Ready to go


Love this picture (just before lining up)


Forming an orderly queue 


Just a few pics from the race






I actually love this little car! Let's see how far we can take it as a team...



Comments